Friday, August 23, 2013

The Patriot

Recently a person jokingly told me I am too patriotic. I laughed and told him there is no such thing; but the comment got me thinking. Is it really possible to be too patriotic?  Is it possible to love a nation that has granted freedom to millions, too much?  The more I thought about it no, you can never over love America.  My love for our nation started when I was little. My parents were adamant that I know the values and principles America stood for. They showed me how to respect our Veterans and those currently fighting for our Country.  When I was five I remember playing with a small American flag that my Grandpa owned. When I accidentally dropped it on the ground I burst into tears, and told my Grandpa I was sorry and that he needed to burn it. He smiled and said it would be ok. I knew that flag to be sacred. That flag has stood for freedom, peace, hope, charity, and much more.  The flag has soared over many great buildings, yet it has been tattered and torn as well. During the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics I cried, with our nation and the world, as the damaged flag from the top of the World Trade Center entered the stadium.  The attacks on September 11, 2001 changed me forever. The images of that day will haunt me to my grave. 9/11 proved that freedom isn't invincible, freedom is something we must carry from one generation to the next.  I love my country.  I love that we were founded as a Nation under God.  I will continue to wear my red, white, and blue as long as I have the freedom to do so.
God Bless America,
Christopher D. Richardson 

No comments:

Post a Comment